It’s been awhile since I’ve done a top 10, so I thought it would be fun for this Tuesday morning.
Top 10 Reasons to Keep a Dairy Goat
- Goat milk is delicious! I know, if you’ve never had good, fresh goat milk before, trying it can be a little scary. You might expect it to taste like a billy goat smells, or like liquefied feta. In reality, it tastes like . . . MILK! Amazing. Now some goats have stronger tasting milk. We find Lamancha milk to have a nice mild, palatable flavor that we love. Don’t be afraid to ask to taste a goat’s milk before you purchase her to make sure it is too your taste. Also, the does must be kept away from the bucks to avoid an unplesant “bucky” taste.
- No last minute trips to the store for milk! I bet you I can milk all my goats before you can drive to the store and back. Ready, set, GO!
- Goats (well, most of them) are very sweet animals who love treats and attention!
- One word. FETA.
- No antibiotics or growth hormones! The only time my goats might receive antibiotics is if they are actually dangerously ill. In the dairy industry, antibiotics are given routinely, and subsequently are passed on the unsuspecting milk drinkers. Yuck!
- Milking is a great way to build up strength in your hands or forearms!
- Baby goats are SO CUTE!
- No plastic jugs to throw away!
- Medium Chain Fatty Acids. Look it up. OK, because I love you, I looked it up for you. Read all about it here!
- Raw milk from healthy animals promotes good health! (See the link in #9)
So, have you tried goat milk before? Do you keep your own dairy animals? Do you think I’m completely nuts? Let’s hear it!
If you like this post, you might also like my Fresh Milk 101 Pinterest Board and don’t forget to sign up for Beulah’s Moooooosletter, so you don’t miss a minute of the fun!