Today I am pleased to introduce you to my lovely friend Kathie. She is a woman of many talents and is currently conducting a summer e-course that is so much fun. The name is fabulous as well. She calls it “Fiercely D.I.Y.” *affiliate link* and it contains “12 Projects for a Courageous Home.” (Don’t you just sometimes wish you had thought of a cool name first? Darn you Kathie and your creativity!!)
Let’s make her feel welcome on the homestead. She has been nice enough to share this mouthwatering recipe with us today just in time to kick off our summer celebrations!
Summer is a time of picnics and gatherings, of late night bonfires and stargazing. A season of outdoor parties and food. It’s also a hot season in which most of us don’t want to heat up the kitchen any more than necessary. It’s the season of salads, iced tea, and cool desserts. Make the most of summer’s berries with this frozen smoothie pie, that whips up in no time, doesn’t heat up the kitchen, and is supremely satisfying on a hot July evening.
- Chocolate Oat Crust:
- ⅓ Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1½ Cup Oats
- ⅔ Cup Almond Meal
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ Cup Sugar
- ½ Cup Coconut Oil, melted or Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Almond Extract
- Strawberry Smoothie Filling:
- 4 Cups Strawberries, Fresh or Frozen
- 1 – 1 & ½ Cups Milk (Dairy or Non Will Work)
- ½ teaspoon Almond Extract, Optional
- Make the crust:
- In a mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients. Pour in the coconut oil and almond extract. Mix until everything is moistened. Press evenly into the bottom of a 9"pie plate and place in the freezer.
- Make the Smoothie:
- In a blender combine the strawberries and 1 Cup milk. Puree, adding more liquid if necessary. If using frozen strawberries, it might need more liquid than if using fresh. Pour this over the oat layer.
- Cover the pan and freeze for 30 minutes. Remove from the freezer and slice the pie into wedges. The pie will be mostly frozen but still easily sliced at this point.
- Place back in the freezer until serving time. Serve with fresh berries or whipped cream if desired.
Food made from scratch and filled with love is just one of many ways to build a courageous home and live fiercely D.I.Y. Making Summer Desserts is just one of the weekly projects in this summer’s Fiercely D.I.Y. e-course *affiliate link* being offered by Homespun Seasonal Living. The E-course is designed to inspire and encourage you to live a life by own your hands, on your own terms, and in your own pace. You can learn more, download a sampler, and register for the course over at Homespun Seasonal Living.
About Kathie N. Lapcevic
Kathie is a freelance writer, teacher, and blogger living in northwest Montana with her soulmate Jeff. She lives a fiercely D.I.Y. lifestyle in harmony with the natural rhythms of nature. You can follow her blog at Homespun Seasonal Living.
Full disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. I have teamed up with Kathie to help her promote her awesome e-course. If you purchase the course through my links, I will earn a small referral fee. As always, I ONLY promote products I believe in and I think this course is packed full of gems. I hope you enjoy learning to live Fiercely DIY!